Thursday, June 5, 2014

We are MOVING!

The word is out! Colton and I are moving to Washington DC in September. 

First thoughts when he told me he got a job offer:

"Are you being for reals right now?"
"What?!?!"
"I'm gonna die"
"Okay maybe I won't die, but..."
"Jamo gets home in October."
"Are we really gonna move 2,100 miles away? That's as far as we could go without leaving the country!"
"Wait, this could actually be really fun!"
"My husband is awesome."
"WE ARE MOVING TO DC!"

I think I'm still kind of in shock. I mean, I shouldn't be. We have known that this would happen at some point. I've known it since we were dating! I guess we just have gotten really comfortable here. We have great jobs, we are close to family and friends, we have the ideal living situation, we love our ward, and we are finally getting some answers about our long and worrisome struggle with infertility.

But despite all of that, I'm surprisingly at peace with our decision. Other than my initial reaction of surprise, I feel good about this move. That doesn't mean it will be easy for me. Trust me, I'm very aware of how challenging this change will be for me. I've never lived anywhere but Utah. DC is a very different place, and did I already mention that it's 2,100 miles away from the place we call home? 

It will be hard for me to leave a job that I have come to love. It will be really hard to not be home to watch Bells start her first season of college volleyball, and hard not to be home to watch Shelbs keep growing up so fast. It will be hard to fly home for Jamo's homecoming, only to have to leave shortly after, getting few precious hours after a very long 2 years. It will be hard for me to make new friends, and I will desperately miss all of my awesome friends/family here. They are my biggest support; thank goodness for FaceTime and Skype! It will be hard to pay at least 3x as much in living expenses (not that we have a spendy lifestyle, but we will still have to adjust mentally haha). It will be hard on me to find new doctors to trust with our most important priority.

My dad gave a talk in church once when I was a teenager and it has stayed with me since. He talked about comfort zones. He talked about how some callings we are given or things we are asked to do or service we are asked to give will push us out of our comfort zones. He talked about how trials that come our way will push us out of our comfort zones. He admitted that being outside our comfort zone is, well, uncomfortable! It can be frustrating, intimidating, and worrying. My wise father then said something I won't ever forget: If you aren't ever pushed out of your comfort zone, you won't ever change and grow. We forget the bigger picture when we get too comfortable. We forget we have more to do and more to become.

This thought gives me so much peace and comfort at this time. Moving across the country to DC is most definitely outside my comfort zone. And it's going to be scary and frustrating at times. But what I mostly think about is that Colton and I are going to learn and grow in ways that would not be possible if we stayed put in our comfortable circumstances. 

This is an incredible opportunity, not to mention an exciting adventure! And the timing couldn't be more perfect (well, except for the whole moving only a month before my brother gets home thing). I have been blessed to know and understand that God has a plan for us, that His hand is in our life. I can't help but think that my plan to start pursuing a higher education this fall didn't work out because He knew. I can't help but think that my mind was not at ease with switching jobs and breaking into a different industry because He knew. I can't help but think that maybe we haven't been able to have a child because He knew. It's very humbling, when you can take a step back and look at the bigger picture and realize that He's been guiding you all along. 

WE ARE MOVING TO WASHINGTON DC!

P.S. Please come visit us. We would love to have guests :) And who doesn't want to visit DC?! There's so much to see and do and experience. 
P.P.S. We will miss everyone so so much. We are grateful for the outpouring of love and support from everyone in making this decision. We have the BEST family and friends.



3 comments:

  1. YEAH for big adventures! I love what you said about comfort zones. How true it is!! But we are going to miss you like CRAZZZZZY! At least we've got you for a few more months:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you and Colton! At the same time, I'm so sad you are leaving... funny how emotions work. I just love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SOOO exciting! We will MISSS you around here. I love what you said about comfort zones. It is so true! We love you both....and we are going to come visit you :)!

    ReplyDelete